Most current W-2 employees in the Commonwealth—with limited exemptions—are eligible so long as they meet the financial eligibility requirements set under the unemployment insurance program.
Also eligible are:
· Self-employed individuals who have chosen to opt-in to the state program.
· Contractors who receive a 1099-MISC tax form and whose employer has a workforce that has over 50% of individuals receiving a 1099-MISC form.
· Former employees who have been unemployed for less than 27 weeks.
· Employees of a municipal district, political subdivision, housing authority, regional school district, or regional planning commission, which has chosen to opt-in to the paid family leave program.
The maximum length of Leave is variable dependent on the following circumstances:
· 12 weeks to bond with a
child during the first 12 months after the child’s birth, adoption, or foster care placement.
· 12 weeks to manage any needs that take place immediately after a family member is deployed to a foreign country or is notified of an impending deployment in a foreign country.
· 20 weeks to manage your own serious health condition.
· 26 weeks of family leave to care for a family member who is a current member of the Armed Forces due to an injury or illness that occurred as a result of their service.
As of July 1st, 2021, these benefits will expand to include:
· 12 weeks to care for a family member with a serious health condition.
Benefits are based on the worker’s average weekly wage over their two highest-earning quarters during the previous year. To calculate weekly benefits, the State uses the following formula.
· 80% of the first $715.83 of a worker’s average weekly wage, plus
· 50% of any amount of th
eir average weekly wage over $715.83, up to the state benefit cap
Weekly benefits are currently capped at $850 per week.
For instructions on how to apply, visit: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/how-to-apply-for-paid-family-and-medical-leave-pfml
For Basic Eligibility Requirements, visit: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/your-eligibility-for-paid-family-and-medical-leave-pfml
For a Financial Eligibility and Expected Benefit Calculator, visit: https://calculator.digital.mass.gov/pfml/yourbenefits/
To opt-in for self-employed individuals, visit: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/opt-in-and-contribute-to-paid-family-and-medical-leave-as-a-self-employed-individual